Tuesday 12 August 2008

An Experiment in Tipping!

One of the things I’ve picked up on in a few of the comments recently has been the fact that readers actually enjoy reading the blog posts when I analyse races and look at specific horses. I think part of this is simply because I have a very methodical and logical approach to reading form and it’s usually fairly easy to follow.

I’ve also had a few emails and comments over the past few weeks asking for advice on reading form and I’ve given a few hints to various readers about things to look for and where to start. In addition, I also get a few emails every week asking for any tips I may have and whether I could send them to people and this always makes me smile even though I never reply to them!

A few weeks ago, there were lots of comments about me providing tips or analysis of races and whether I’d be any good at it. I decided to not follow it up then as I wanted some time to think about it and whether it would appeal to me or not. I think I said to ‘watch this space!’

Well, after a fair bit of thought, I’ve decided I’d like to give it a go. Some of you may have noticed already but I got in touch with JP (link at the side) and asked if he could do a quick post asking if any of his readers would be interested in receiving a free trial of tips and analysis of races every couple of days. JP uses a variety of tipping services and does very well, so I thought his blog would be the perfect way to proof my selections.

I’m planning on providing free information to everyone for the first month and depending on my results, I’ll then see if there is a possible future in it for me. One of the things I’ve loved about the last 6 months on here is that I’ve jumped from strategy to strategy and this is yet another leap to something new. This can obviously be done side by side with my learning to trade though and it should work well I hope as the more winners I pick, the more money I’ll make from trading hopefully.

I’m guessing that some traders reading this are shaking their heads again! “Why the hell is he doing this?” (Matt - stop shaking that head mate!)

Firstly, as I’ve said many times on here, my passion is trying to understand horseracing form and therefore, this next month will allow me to indulge in this passion even more. Secondly, everyone knows I have a decent knowledge of horseracing and as I’ve said on here lots of times, I need to find the best way to use it. This next month allows me to explore a possible new avenue to make money from my knowledge.

Thirdly, and most importantly IMO, it will provide a great incentive for me to get off my ass and get my head stuck in the form book again. Even though I quite enjoy looking at form, most times, I can't act on what I find since I'm working and this provides a great disincentive to look at it. Hence, I don't look at the results and then when it comes to having a bet myself, I need to look at all of the results from the beginning and it is hard work and less accurate!

Obviously, for this to work well, I need to get as many people to proof my selections as possible. Therefore, I’m looking for some volunteers (or guinea pigs!) to receive regular emails from me with horseracing selections for the next month. What you do with the selections is up to you. I’d be inclined to just sit on them and enjoy reading my rationale for selecting the horses!

I did think of doing this ‘proofing’ on the blog but I don’t want my blog to be overcome with posts about horseracing selections, so I want to keep this separate from my blog. In addition, most professional tipster services use emails, so I should really follow them!

Can I ask all the readers of this blog to send me an email and I’ll ensure that they are added to my distribution list. Even though you have no interest in horseracing, you have nothing to lose from receiving the emails and it will be an enjoyable read I’m sure.

I would also suggest that anyone who doesn’t understand horseracing form and wants to learn more should use this opportunity also as I’ll be providing lots of analysis of horses and races, so you will be able to pick up some tips on reading form and finding winners.

Once I get a few volunteers, I’ll issue an introductory note to everyone and outline how the service will work. I plan to start providing information from the start of next month as I’m off on holiday towards the end of this month, so it makes sense to start from next month.

After the first month, I’ll compare my results with other tipping services out there and we’ll see how good or bad I am!

If anyone has any questions, please drop me a note or leave a comment on here.

As I’ve said above, no one has anything to lose by volunteering to receive this information………..

18 comments:

Terry said...

lol!

Every time I read your blog mate, you've either changed strategy or come up with another way to use your form knowledge!

I've sent you an email and I look forward to reading about your selections.

Good luck.

How's the trading going by the way? U seem very quiet!

Steve

Mind Games said...

Hi Graeme,

I saw this on another blog that I read - maybe you'd be interested in a quick 1-week competition before you head off on your hols?!

http://www.nag-nag-nag.co.uk/2008/08/champion-tipster.html

MG

Graeme Dand said...

Hi Steve.

Thanks for the comment.

I got your email. You’re second on the list now!

The trading's going great mate. I've been struggling for time the last 2 nights but I managed to look at 5 races tonight and made 5 small wins (less than £2 green in each race!).

I'm deliberately not posting too much about it as I’m only playing around. I’ve had lots of good advice from a few traders in the past week, so I’m trying out different things. Even placing reverse orders at the same time is something I’d never done before tonight, so I’ve learnt that now and it works well.

I’ve now learnt that you can put a stop loss manually on the ladder in BA Pro, so this will help me I guess. It’s just these little tricks that are very basic that I’m hoping to learn. As I’ve said previously, how the hell I managed to make profits on Betfair from trading before is anyone’s guess!

I’ll hopefully provide an update later in the week about how my trading is going.

Cheers,

Graeme

Unknown said...

You're right, I am shaking my head.. lol

....still shaking my head..

hehe, chapter XVI, reminiscences of a stock operator! in fact, I've just found the mother of all links..

Read Chapter XVI of Reminiscens of a Stock Operator here, the rest of the chapters are available for free too! Awesome..

Anyway, I'm sure you are doing this as much for a bit of fun as anything, not charging for them is a good idea I guess..

still head shaking here though.. hehe

Matt
Punt.com

Unknown said...

Apologies for my typing!

Graeme Dand said...

Hi Mind Games.

Great comment....

You'll be pleased to hear that I've taken up the challenge!

I've received an email back saying that the game starts from next Monday and runs for a week. I'm away from a week on Saturday though, but I'll be able to see Sunday's cards on the Friday, so I should be OK!

It would be good to begin next month's adventure with the title of 'Champion Tipster', so I'll be trying my best! lol

I'll post up my selections and my rationale on here for everyone to see, so that should be a bit of fun for next week.

Have you entered the comp?

Graeme

Anonymous said...

add me to your list please mate,i think your head is a shed mate but no doubt you will come up with something you are happy with sooooon

Graeme Dand said...

Cheers Matt.

I knew you'd see the funny side mate. I can't charge for tips as I'm guessing I could be hopeless. I wouldn't want to con anyone!

Every time I try something new on the blog, I'm usually pretty shit at it, so I'm hoping just going back to what I do best may actually work for me! lol

It's funny. The only chapter I've re-read was that chapter and I know what Livermore thought of tips......

I'll add your name to the list. If nothing else, it will give you a laugh!

Graeme

Graeme Dand said...

Anonymous,

Can you define what 'shed' means please.

Do you mean it's large and open to new things all the time or do you mean it's full of shit? LOL

I'll assume you mean the 2nd thing which is probably correct to some degree!

You'll need to drop me an email mate so I get your email address.

Anonymous doesn't really give much away....

G

Mind Games said...

Hello again,

Pleased that the Champion Tipster appeals to you. It would be great if you could do well - I think the guys running the site are beatable! Their blog is a good read though.

No, no, no, I'm not entering! I have no chance whatsoever of doing well in a tipping competition! Why do you think I started trading!

All the best.

MG

Anonymous said...

shed large open space for storing aasorts shaw362@btinternet.com

Graeme Dand said...

Sorry to hear you’re not taking part Mind Games. You may have beat me!!!

I think this works really well for me to be honest as I was going to start next week with the tips but I’ll be packing for the holiday etc. so I would have been really short of time to analyse races.

This means that I get a free trial run of trying to find some winners with no pressue, so we’ll see how I do!

Let’s hope I don’t crash and burn before the ‘Tipping Experiment’ has even started….. lol

G

Graeme Dand said...

Anonymous,

I much prefer you’re definition of a shed compared to mines!

You’re on the list…..

G

Anonymous said...

ta

Anonymous said...

Graeme,

Excellent blog which I have been folowing for some time but have struggled to leave a comment for some strange technical reasons!!!

I would be very interested to receive your "proofed tips" and would appreciate it if you could send these to gagsbruno@hotmail.co.uk
Cheers

Anonymous said...

Hello graeme could you add me to the list also,what has happened to the forum nothing much happens on there these days, anyway look forward to your reply.
Cheers
Teery.

Graeme Dand said...

Hi Anonymous.

Glad you enjoy the blog.

You’re on the list!

G

Graeme Dand said...

Hi Terry.

Good to see you are still reading the blog mate.

We decided to stop using the Forum and Andrew and I just email each other to discuss the day’s racing. The problem we had with the forum is that we didn’t get much interaction with other users. I know everyone enjoyed just watching us discuss races but we didn’t get much from it.

I think part of the problem was that the Forum came along at a time when I didn’t have many readers of the blog who were interested in horseracing. I’m sure if we had a forum now it would be much better subscribed to but we’ll always have the same issue where people will struggle to get involved since we appear to know everything (even though we clearly don’t!).

Also, I was maybe a bit guilty of shooting some people down for forming an opinion that was rubbish IMO but as I keep saying, everyone is entitled to an opinion on racing. I can’t help it that I was always right though! lol (Andrew will no doubt disagree with my comment here!)

I still love the idea of sharing ideas with fellow minded punters who are interested in horseracing. This is basically what Andrew and I do on a daily basis. So far though, I’ve not come across anyone who can add much to our discussions……..

I’ve already added your name to the distribution list mate. I’ve actually added everyone’s name to the list who was a member of the Handicap Forum!

Hope your own punting is going well.

Graeme